I had a discussion with a couple of the girls on the workshop yesterday about how being diagnosed is bittersweet.
On the one hand you are dealt with something you wouldn’t wish on even your worse enemy and on the other, it makes you take stock of your life and makes you want to make the most out of it.
If I had been told I would do even half the stuff I have done in the past 8 months, this time last year, I probably would have just laughed it off. However, since my diagnosis I have done so much,
- I met my favourite boyband
- I have made some incredible new friends and reconnected with others
- I shaved my hair off for charity
- I completed the Race for Life and even ran a little bit of it
- I have been able to manage running home, caring for my children, endured surgery, chemotherapy and the shock of having cancer and continued studying towards my degree
- I’ve held a Strawberry Tea for Breast Cancer Care
- This weekend I am going to be completing the Midnight Walk for Katharine House Hospice
- I went on a Look Good Feel Better workshop and to Hoar Cross Hall
- I went on my first study visit to Liverpool (something I was very nervous about doing)
- I am booked to go on another study visit to Brighton next month but this time I will be going for the whole weekend
- With my family I have been to Nottingham, Bath and London all in between my treatment
- and countless other things
But the best thing is, it’s only September so there are plenty other things I could do! If I’m honest, I have no idea what will happen before the end of the year but I’m excited to find out.
Like I said before, having cancer is bittersweet, it is only now that I am really enjoying life and having the guts to do all the things I want to. So my advise to all of you reading this is if there is something you want to do, just do it! Don’t be afraid, don’t think you are being selfish, just get on with it! The only person you are letting down is yourself and if like me, you’ll be excited about what it will lead to next.
So until next time, I’m off to plan another adventure x